Tuesday, January 22, 2013

January 22, 2013

Vaempires: Revolution (The Evolutionary War, Book One)Vaempires: Revolution by Thomas Winship
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Vaempires: Zombie Rising  (The Evolutionary War, Book Two)Vaempires: Zombie Rising by Thomas Winship
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sorry this review was so long in coming. I wanted to finish reading the second book before commenting because I wanted to get a handle on how this series is playing out. What I mean by that is, the way the series is written, it seems to me more like a single novel in serial parts. I don't have a problem with that. I just wanted to be sure that was what was happening. So, I have combined my review and will copy it to both books.

With that said, I am patient and will wait for the next installments. I think the evolution of Vampires is a great theme and I am really liking this story so far.

A group of friends must face a revolutionary force of mutated Vampires, now known as Vaempires. The revolution is violent and they lose their families and become separated. I don't want to give away any spoilers so I will stop with saying that the first book is the story of two of them and the second is the story of the other two, all happening simultaneously.

I really like these books, so please, no one take my minor gripes as any sort of indication that I don't. I think the characters are described and portrayed as much older than they are said to be. They are much more mature than fifteen years. I don't know the purpose of this, as I think these books are a little bit too violent for the YA crowd, so I think the characters would have played okay if they were older.

The gore descriptions are a little too abundant for me. I think gore is great for shock value and graphic realism, but too many pages of gory descriptions in a row lose the shock value and become boring and tedious. I found myself skimming quickly ahead to get to more story and less gore. But, just know that the story is there and is very enjoyable.

I will be buying the rest of the series. I give The Evolutionary War series four stars.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Noelle. I really appreciate you taking the time to read Vaempires and offer your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Tom. I posted your review to goodreads, Amazon, Shelfari, ShareMyDestiny.blogspot.com and DangerousDestiny.com. If there is another place you would like me to copy to, just let me know. I try to do as much as I can to support other authors. The prequel is on my TBR list and I am anxiously awaiting your next installment in the series.

      Delete
    2. No, that's perfect, Noelle. Thank you so much. You know ... Cherishing Destiny sounds familiar and I just saw that you're on my website's "links" page, so I know we communicated at some point in time--but I'm ashamed to admit I can't remember how/when. Did you do a book tour? Anyway, I just picked up your book--congratulations--and it's on my TBR pile. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for the support, Tom! I think we had a discussion once about evolution of Vampires, a theme in my series as well. I admit, also to my shame, that the details of that conversation elude me. So, let's start over! I hope you like Cherishing Destiny. Book 2, Following Destiny, will be out in March. I think you will find that one to be a little darker, as the world has changed. I look forward to your thoughts.

      Delete