Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tuesday Tidbits

Tuesday Tidbits:  
Short Stories, Short Reviews
 

Proof: A Short Tale of the UndeadProof: A Short Tale of the Undead by M.R. Graham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this story! I am not usually a big fan of shorts, but what a great little read! This story was so well written that my own mind filled in all the details about the multitude of characters and their stories that were barely more than mentioned. With just a hint of what happened to them, I could picture the entire scene. It was like reading a full length novel in an encapsulated form. Certainly Graham could have written all the details for us, but it was really not necessary after she painted the complete picture in broad strokes. I had no doubts as to what had happened to these people and I was surprisingly satisfied with the quick read. (I usually love to hear all about everyone in epic proportions) Don't get me wrong, This book could be expanded into a fabulous novel, but it doesn't need to be.

Can't say it enough... Loved it!

View all my reviews

 The Stolen: Two Short StoriesThe Stolen: Two Short Stories by Michelle Browne
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Michelle Browne builds two very distinct dystopian worlds in these stories, yet somehow, I found them eerily similar in their themes of oppression and conformity.

Both stories had a definite Orwellian cast, especially The Word Thieves with a central story of extreme censorship, zealous expectations of conformity and spies who watch for individual expression and unsanctioned behavior.

Michelle's heroines are smart, sassy, free-thinker's who don't do well in these totalitarian societies and they have excellent depth of character.

Great stories! Recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment