The Harvesting Series, Book 1
Genre: Horror/Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Steampunk Press
Number of pages: 394
Word Count: 71000
Cover Artist: Michael Hall Photography
TV interview with book info:
When mankind finally consumes itself, can any spark of humanity survive? Layla fights to keep those she loves alive when the zombie apocalypse unfolds, but she soon learns that zombies are not the only problem. With mankind silenced, those beings living on the fringe seek to reclaim power. Layla must learn who to trust, fast, if she hopes to save what is left of our kind.
Finding Love During the Apocalypse, A Writer’s Guide
By Melanie Karsak
The “Facebook-esque” Version:
The fire snaps. It’s a warm night. You’re sitting side by side, neither of you sleeping. You’ve been getting cozy with one another for weeks. You have so much in common. You feel intense longing for her. Should you go for it? Does she feel it too? You stare into her eyes then fall into one another, drinking deeply of each other’s lips.
The Zombie Version:
The campfire fire snaps. It’s a warm night. You’re living in a tent in the woods because you are on the run from reanimated corpses. Neither of you are sleeping. Both of you are on guard duty. You and your group have been running and hiding from the undead for weeks now. You both love the new machine guns you lifted out of an abandoned bunker. You feel intense longing for her because you haven’t had sex since the world ended. Should you go for it? Does she feel it too? You stare into her eyes. What’s that crusty stuff on her face? You know you smell like B.O. So does she. You fall into one another anyway, your mouths tasting like the can of dog food you both just ate. Moments later, just as you’re getting naked, you hear the groan of a zombie. Ahh, apocalypse love.
Finding love during a zombie apocalypse can be tricky, but with the right guidance, even you find a way to make your heart soar. Glenn and Maggie from “The Walking Dead” have perfected the art. We can learn a lot from them. There are several things to consider. Let’s take a look:
10 Tips on Finding Love during the Zombie Apocalypse
10) Assume that “Warm Bodies” was a one-shot deal. Avoid coming on to the undead.
9) If you are lucky enough to find the right person, learn how to moan like a zombie. No more “to the heavens” chortles. If you learn to moan like a zombie, the undead are more likely to ignore you.
8) Never miss an opportunity for a “safe sex zone.” You’ve just cleared out a bunker full of zombies and there is a really cozy closet down the hall away the rest of the group. What are you waiting for?
7) Reconsider your standards. Okay, maybe you didn’t love rednecks in your everyday life, but chances are that if there is a redneck about (male or female), they’ve got the chops to make it in the z-poc. It might be time to warm up. Git-r-done, y’all!
6) Get over hang-ups about hygiene. Perfume, cologne, deodorant, a toothbrush, a shower . . . all things of the past. If you want to connect with someone over a can of dog food, you need to let go of your feelings about bad-breath.
4) Do not use protection (wait for it . . . ). Let’s set STDs aside for a moment and talk about pregnancy. Almost every movie and book assures us that if you get pregnant, your child will save humanity. The cure will be in their blood. While it would be very annoying to have a STD during the apocalypse, don’t let that crush the chance to save mankind. Don’t be selfish.
3) Examine your group. Are there any couples? No? Every story always depicts one “sweet” couple. If your group is currently lacking this couple, you and your partner might be able to take over this stock-character/relational role. Your “too sweet to kill” love might just save you come z-day. Go ahead and try to have a real relationship. On the other hand, if you see your partner making eyes at others in your group, run away! Getting involved in a love triangle almost certainly spells death.
2) The rules of Zombieland suggest double-tap . . . and so do I.
1) Learn how to make love with your boots on and the safety off.
About the Author:
Melanie Karsak, steampunk connoisseur, white elephant collector, and caffeine junkie, resides in Florida with her husband and two children. Visit the author at her blog, melaniekarsak.blogspot.com, to learn more about upcoming projects.