Monday, October 7, 2013

Wolf Born Tour, Excerpt, Guest Post & Review!



Wolf Born
Underground Heat
Book 2
By Ann Gimpel

Publisher: Liquid Silver Books
ISBN:  978-1-62210-030-9

Genre: Paranormal Romance
50,000 words

In a futuristic world where shifters keep their friends close and their enemies closer, passion flares hot and sweet.

Book Description:

In a futuristic California that’s almost out of resources, Max leads a double life. A Russian wolf-shifter, he heads up the State of California as its governor—and the shifter underground. He took on the governorship to help his people. Threatened with genocide, many shifters have gone into hiding. Some blame Max and the underground for their plight, rather than the governmental edict that’s meant death for so many.

Audrey works for Max. Unlike most humans with low levels of shifter blood who bless their lucky stars they avoided the purge, she wants to be a shifter. If she could find a way to finesse it, she’d quit her job in a heartbeat and go to work helping the shifter underground. The only sticking point is Max. She’s been half in love with him forever.

Against a dog-eat-dog political backdrop where no one knows who their allies are, Max and Audrey spar with one another. Max fears she’s part of the group trying to kill him. Audrey has no idea about Max’s double identity and worries she won’t be able to walk away from their fiery attraction to help the underground.

After a second attempt on his life, Max faces critical choices. Should he follow his head or his heart?


The Seasons Are Changing  
Guest Post by Ann Gimpel

Fall is in the air. The nights here at 8000’ are dipping below freezing. Two days ago, it snowed. For whatever reason, the fall-winter transition is when I take stock of the last year and ask myself how my life has gone. Did I like the results of my efforts? Or do I need to fine tune things a bit?

Despite the fact that my first short story was published at the front end of 2010 and my first novel in February 2011 (by a small press), my writing career didn’t really take off until the end of 2012. These last ten months have been a wild ride. Sometimes, between writing, editing, and marketing, it’s truly felt as if my life isn’t my own anymore. At least when I had a day job, it had parameters. By that, I mean I showed up at 8, went home at 5 and only had to field the occasional emergency call off hours.
One of the big problems with being self-employed, and I remember this fairly well from the years I had a large private practice, is you can work 24/7. I can’t tell you how many times I’d be sitting across from a patient in my office at nine o’clock at night at the tail end of a day that had begun at seven that morning. No one to blame but myself, since I set my own schedule. I tried my damnedest, but I’m not certain the late night patient got as much from me as those scheduled earlier in the day.
Well, I set my own schedule as a writer, too. I have a friend who limits her social media time to five hours a week. She sets a clock and does SM in five one-hour increments. That sounds like a good idea. I plan to adopt it. I’m also going to limit myself to writing one book a month, ten months out of the year, less if the book is much over 50K words. I started that in July. So far, it’s working. I took July off. The book I wrote in August is contracted. I just finished September’s book and subbed it. I figure I can take a couple of weeks off before I begin the October book. 

Just like there was more to life than psychology, there’s also more to life than writing. My husband is a patient man, but it’s not fair to him if I’m hunched over a keyboard twenty hours a day. My fond hope is if I change a couple of small things, my writing life will feel friendlier, less like a cruel taskmaster. 

What about the rest of you writers out there. How do you manage to blend everything in and still have some quality of life for yourself and your families? I’d really like to know.



Crys


Wolf Born
By Ann Gimpel

Review by Crys 

5 of 5 Moon Cradled Stars
 



 


   Well guys, yet another shifter series I am now addicted too and will be snatching as many up as I can find. It must be the author, Ann Gimpel, because I have yet to read, hear or see anything bad from her hand. This book simply reinforces that statement.  
   Max Sigayev is the Governor of California and leads a double life as the head of the shifter Underground.  No one knows he is a shifter besides his fellow shifters. In this book all of the shifters have been forced to hide underground or be imprisoned. The Government forced police officers with at least 10% shifter blood to undergo serum injections to turn them into full shifters, who then rebelled against the treatment of their kind. Max took office in hopes of helping the shifters be able to live a normal life without fear of persecution. 
   Times are drastically different in this book, steals, cotton, silk and many other things are now considered "black market" items. Audrey, Max's secretary and the has lusted after Max before he even won the Governors seat, then giving up because of the no fraternizing rule, has 35% shifter blood and wants nothing more then to let her inner wolf out. She takes a risk and buys an injection of the serum at $5000.00 each and injects it hoping for the best. Then in the middle of the night she shifts into her wolf form and is ecstatic. 
   Not knowing Max is the leader of the Underground, she is sad to hand in her 2 weeks notice, but she has to help her fellow shifters and find the Underground. Neither Max nor Audrey are listening to their inner wolves who tells them they are soul mates, so the wolves take it upon them selves to find out, then don't tell their humans, and leave them to find out for themselves. All them mean while attempts are being made against Max's life. Could Audrey be in on it? Her resignation comes the day after one of the attempts, so of course he and his security staff are suspicious. Will they figure out they are life mates? Will they even make it out alive?
   I loved this book. It had action, suspense and melt your panties off love scenes (not for the faint of heart, but in the same breath, not as bad as some erotica I've read). The secondary characters were awesome, I'd love to read a book about Johannes especially. You are also briefly introduced to Audrey's parents towards the end of the book, so I'm hoping we will be seeing more of all the secondary characters in the following book(s).  All in all it was a great book. Well thought out plot, gives you just enough of the other people to make you want to know more, and leaves then end of the book as what I like to call a soft cliffhanger. You wouldn't have to read any more of the series to be fully satisfied with this book, but you will want to. So bravo Ann! You sure know how to write a good, engaging book with lovable characters that by the end of the book we want to know what happens to them on their next life journey. It was a pleasure reviewing this book, and I will most definitely be getting the others! 

This book was provided free of charge as part of the tour for an honest review.
 

 
 About the Author

Ann Gimpel is a clinical psychologist, with a Jungian bent.  Avocations include mountaineering, skiing, wilderness photography and, of course, writing.  A lifelong aficionado of the unusual, she began writing speculative fiction a few years ago. Since then her short fiction has appeared in a number of webzines and anthologies. Several paranormal romance novellas are available in e-format. Three novels, Psyche’s Prophecy, Psyche’s Search, and Psyche's Promise are small press publications available in e-format and paperback. Look for three more urban fantasy novels coming this summer and fall: To Tame a Highland Dragon, Earth’s Requiem and Earth’s Blood.

A husband, grown children, grandchildren and three wolf hybrids round out her family.
@AnnGimpel (for Twitter)


5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Noelle. What an awesome treat to wake up to. First off, big hugs for inviting me back to your blog. And I loved your review. Connecting with readers is, hands down, the very best part of being a writer. I'm so glad you like The Underground Heat Series and my other books as well.
    I'm hoping for some comments on my guest post as this is a topic that looms large for me these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann! The credit for the wonderful review goes to Crys from my Review Crew! Click on the link in the signature to read about the Crew. I know Crys loves your books and will be reviewing another later this month!

    I love having you visit my blog and I enjoy your thought provoking Guest Posts. I know my readers enjoy you as well.

    As a writer just getting started, I am also feeling the pressure of not having enough time in the day to do everything. I don't have a solution for you. I don't even have a solution for me yet. I also look forward to hearing how others are coping with it. I think what you propose for yourself is reasonable. I have always felt you were an extremely prolific writer. The limits you propose are still ambitious in my view and I don't think they will affect your fan base in any way.

    In any case, I hope you will find your perfect balance. I wouldn't want you to stop enjoying what you love or stop writing. We, your fans, would be devastated to lose you!
    Noelle ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noelle! I don't think my muse would let me stop writing, even if I wanted to.

      Delete
  3. Great review. I enjoyed the first book and was wondering what this one would be like.

    ReplyDelete